Thursday, February 3, 2022

New Year, ... Old Project?

Good Thursday to you!

I just posted my #WIPWednesdayOffRav photo to Twitter and it reminded me that 1) I need to blog because it's been a bit and 2) the subject of projects that take longer than you think they will is a good one. And 3) Um, I'm a day late :' 'D

I recently went over my list of WIPs... *needle scratch on vinyl album* Ok, let's be honest here. I poked around and found as many of my project bags as I could and checked out what was in them. There is no list. I am not going to claim to be that kind of organized. 

And because I'm not that kind of organized I found my sample for the Hornpipe Bag in one of them. And instantly felt bad because I abandoned the poor thing with a bit more than a round to tink back to get rid of my awful attempt at putting eyelets for drawstrings in a double-knit fabric. Poor thing hadn't seen the light of day in a very loooong time. I have since completed the tinking and before me is this:
Close up of in-progress knitting: alternating black and multicoloured stitches on a circular needle above a section of black stockinette and a section of multicoloured stockinette.

I've got the first 3 stitch-pairs worked (knit black, purl rainbow 3times), and am ready to start the first eyelet. Again.

All good and back on track. But how did my project get derailed in the first place? You might ask the same question when you come across a UFO (that's unfinished object. No extraterrestrials around here. At least that I'm aware of... Although Jakey was staring at the ceiling last night...) in a forgotten tote/grocery bag/purse: Why did I leave this?

This project I know exactly what happened. I only meant to set it aside briefly after frogging most of 3 rounds and getting the stitches back on the needle to tink back to the point before the failed eyelets were knit. A little break to consider a better way to knit the eyelets, and I picked up something else to keep my hands busy, and then something else just to give my mind a bit more of a break from the issues with eyelets, and then... Well, you know how that went.

And other than the failed eyelets I'm really happy with how it's going. I still love how the color blocking is coming out. I think the size is perfect as a small project bag or small purse. Ghillie bag too. 

The most important thing is I've picked it back up with the intention to get it done in the next bit. We have some blechy weather headed up this way (freezing rain! snow! Ah, February in Canada) for the evening and then another system on the weekend; excellent reasons to stay in, drink tea, and knit. As if I needed much excuse for that! :D 

Personal project update:
My Twist Again is coming along slowly but fabulously :) See for yourself:
An in-progress purple sweater on a circular knitting needle. There is an intricate cable panel in the center and ribbed sides that slant toward the cable panel. There is about 8 inches/20cm of knitting.


What do you have on your needles and/or hook today? Something new? Something recent? Something you discovered and you're now wondering why you set aside? It happens to a good lot of us, so don't feel bad :) You're in good company here.

Yours in yarn and revived projects,
Síle

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!