Wednesday, March 17, 2021

You Can Take the Dancer Outta of the Dance...

But you can't take the dance outta the dancer!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! ☘️

Today is the day of the year I miss my dance fam the most. I miss the chaos of remembering where I was dancing, what time(s) I was dancing there, and (most importantly) which dances I was doing. Midweek wasn't nearly as bad as when Pat's fell on a weekend; I seem to recall a particular Saturday the 17th that entailed something like 9 different places around the city, 12 or 14 different times (a few places we danced more than once over the course of the day/evening), and 12 or 14 different lineups of dancers/dances. I got home about 3am on the 18th. This is why you'll see some people with pins or t-shirts that say "March the 17th. Sleep the 18th" lol. Here's a photo of me onstage from my last major performance:

Síle in a black dress with Celtic embroidery in red, blue, and yellow, black tights, and her ghillies (gill-ease; Irish dance slippers), en pointe onstage in front of two large knotwork banners, one orange and one dark green. The knotworks are different and both in white against the colours. The stage floor is raw looking wood, unpainted.
Yes, that's me; June 2011 onstage at the Irish Pavilion during Regina's Mosaic Festival  

There aren't any dance outs going on here today. Well, even without Covid-19 there wouldn't be. I'm pretty certain I'm it for Irish dancers in this particular town, and I just spent 4.5 days with my back in fits. I've been semi-challenged by a dancer friend in St. John's to video myself dancing and post it. I've been thinking about it the last week or so without his prompting, so yes, you're in for a bit of a dance. It's without music from my basement taken with my phone so I apologize for both the quality of the video and my dancing; please be kind in your thoughts. I know my turnout sucks, and I most likely won't make any clicks I may attempt. I am, after all, injured and not in class or training right now. Fair warning! Off we go!

Here it is: one step of the original hornpipe I learned. For some reason this part stuck with me (and I didn't want to be totally clichéd and post the comp length St. Patrick's Day set)

Until next time!

Yours in hardshoes and a"You don't scare me I was raised by an Irish mother" t-shirt,
Síle



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!