Friday, October 16, 2020

The Latest from R*velry

I promised I'd be writing a post about Ravelry and it's taken me some time to wrap my head around things enough to write it out.

On September 29th (Oh gee, another Tuesday announcement; I digress), Ravelry announced that March 31, 2021 would the end of "Classic Rav", and in their happy happy joy joy manner told us there's a new settings option in NuRav.

That would be nice except there are plenty of people saying that neither of the options (named for sheep breeds; isn't that precious?) of NuRav works for them. I haven't heard if either of these works with screenreaders. I know that "Herdwick" mode is no less nauseating for me than "Merino". But after March 31 I, and many others, won't have the option of avoiding them both.

At least we have a deadline for getting our information off. I guess that's a blessing. I will be keeping my stripped account in place after the deadline. Hopefully I'll be able to keep entering pattern pages in the database despite everything. My latest goings on will be here and on my Instagram and Twitter accounts (links in the sidebar).

After that bit of bitter medicine, yesterday's Ravelry blog announcement (Not on a Tuesday! Is that allowed?! I digress, again) just solidified that they're moving full steam ahead. Goody goody gosh! You can now imbed Spotify playlists in your profile and forum posts. And it's been being pointed out on twitter that that's a pretty good slap in the face for those podcasters who aren't able to use the frigging site!

I just don't even know what to say anymore. No, that's not quite true. I do know one thing to say: I'm glad I closed my Ravelry shop in July. 

So that's the latest on the Ravelry front.

My next post should be a return to happier things, like a finished project ;) I have 30 rows left to knit on the body of my Harvest cardigan, then I'll return to the pockets. I should have a new sweater to show off in Town when I'm there early next week.

Yours in yarn and (almost) a new sweater,
Síle


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!