Saturday, August 15, 2020

The Humble Dishcloth

A mix of white and yellow stitches on a knitting needle, with a ball of white and yellow yarn visible at the bottom edge
 

Sometimes it's nice to return to basics, and knit something mindless. I often knit dishcloths from cotton yarn when I need something in my hands but don't feel particularly like I want to focus on a pattern. I've heard dishcloths called "potato chip knitting" and that really does describe them! 


I normally opt for the basic corner to corner bias garter stitch cloth that many of us learned to knit from. Today I thought I'd mix things up and knit a mitered square. I casted on 49 sts and I'm using the slip 2 as if to knit 2 together, knit 1, pass the 2 slipped sts over, aka S2KP, decrease at the center if each right side row; the wrong side rows are knit. Pretty simple and I'll have another cloth for the kitchen drawer fairly soon. I will add that I like to knit my dishcloths a bit tighter than recommended; I'm using size 4.0mm needles with worsted weight cotton. It may sound a bit silly, but I'm convinced tighter knit dishcloths have better scrubbing ability than looser knit ones.

What's your favourite mindless, or nearly mindless, project?

Yours in yarn and trebles,

Síle


P.S. I thought you might like to see the finished cloth, so here you go!
A garter stitch mitered square knit with yellow and white variegated cotton


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!