Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Something a Little Different

Quick post today :)

Do you like trying out crafting techniques that are just a bit different than the usual? For example, Tunisian crochet instead of standard crochet. I like changing things up a bit, sort of testing my skills, stretching my craft muscles.

As you know, I've been working on the Finola shawl (by the talented designer Aoibhe NĂ­; her website is YarnTowers.comđź”—), which is stretching my crochet muscles to Tunisian crochet. It's coming along great and I'm really enjoying the making. And it got me thinking about my knitting muscle. How can I stretch that? What step up can I reach for?

Have you ever seen 3 color double-knitting? I hadn't until I saw the Waterford Wrap by Alasdair Post-Quinn (link to his website, double-knitting.com, is in the sidebar). Revisiting patterns I own lately got my mind to thinking that's something I'd like to try. So I started on a little test piece/swatch the other day, and I'm really pleased with myself for how it's coming along. Here's a collage photo, so you can see both sides:
Top: An in progress piece of knitting, with a white background and stylized flower motifs alternating in sage green and purple. There are 2 and a half rows of motifs, arranged checkerboard style. Bottom: The other side of the above piece, with a purple background and white and green stylized flowers in the same arrangement.

You might find my "flowers" familiar. They're the same ones I used on the sides of my RĂ­nce Fada scarf :) So that's my little experiment right now. And yes, there's a reason for my playing with 3 color double-knitting, but that's for a later day!

September 1st, the unofficial first day of Fall. This year is zipping by for me. I hope you're ready to dive into sweater season! I know I am :)

Yours in yarn and the tangle 3 color knitting puts me in,
SĂ­le





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!