Tuesday, January 19, 2021

And Now a Look at the Weather

 I'm sure you're familiar with temperature blankets/projects. The concept has been around for quite a few years now, and every January there are all kinds of posts and patterns for them. And I'm sure you've probably guessed that I've started one just by that intro.

I was really tempted to start one last year before everything derailed. And I kept very good records of both the daily highs and lows all year (I may have a slight "thing" for spreadsheets; I digress with laughter.) But I kept having trouble deciding how to use the information to make my project. Plus did I want a blanket? A scarf? A sweater? What did I feel would keep my interest?

I started toying with idea of something with a cable in one color and the background in another but that didn't really lead me anywhere. Then one day I was looking through my pattern library and came across Iona by Lucy Hague (link is to the pattern page on her website). It incorporates two colors and has a lovely knotwork cable worked over a blended background. I felt I had maybe found my answer. Plus the amusing (to me anyway) fact that Iona is an island as is Newfoundland. You all know I'm really good at finding links that are superficial at best by now lol.

To knit a blanket for 2020 I would need to make 366 day squares plus another 18 to make a blanket 12x32 squares. That is absolutely massive and while I might be tempted to make one in the future, I'm not at that stage of mania just yet. Note I'm not ruling it out completely; it might be fun to revisit a marker year like when I was born or graduated high school and what the weather was like where I was living at the time as a multiyear project at some point.

I got the idea to make it a more manageable project by taking the 7 day average of both the highs and lows, and then applying those numbers to my temperature scale. 53 squares, plus 10 to make a 7x9 square blanket is much more doable! And with my handy dandy spreadsheet, calculating those averages was a snap ;) So instead of squares for January 1, January 2, January 3, etc I'll be making squares for January 1-7, January 8-14, etc. 

Now for the yarn. It had to be something locally available so I can get more in a pinch, something with a good range of colors, something without dye lots to keep things from looking wonky, and preferably washable since there are 3 cats in the household plus I'm known to spill things when watching tv. I decided on Bernat Premium which is a worsted weight 100% acrylic yarn that comes in a large skein (360yds!) and is much softer than good ol' Red Heart Super Saver. (Not that RHSS isn't good for things, I just want something a bit easier on my hands for a long term project. Every yarn has its place.) I also already have several colors in my stash so that greatly lowers the financial outlay and doesn't slow down when I can start. Respecting your budget is an important part of any project.

Which brings me to needle size. I knit on the looser side, plus I wanted to start the squares on double-pointed needles, so I chose my 4.0mm/US 6 bamboo dpns to begin. As they're shorter than some of my other sets, around round 20 I transitioned the square to a 16 inch/40cm circular needle. This worked a treat and so I think I'll continue to go this route with the other squares.

The other important part of this type of project is the temperature scale, which needs to make sense for where you're gathering your data for. If you live in a temperate climate your scale will be very different from somewhere that runs the gamut from -40 to +40°C (Hi, Regina peeps *waves*). Here's what I came up with for my little corner of the island:

Temps in Celsius (color code from spreadsheet) 
below -20: (K) 
-19 to -15: (J) 
-14 to -10: (I) Iced Aqua, perhaps?
-9 to -5: (H)  Fresh Green
-4 to 0: (G)  Sky Blue
1 to 5: (F)
6 to 10: (E) 
11 to 15: (D)
16 to 20: (C) 
21 to 25: (B) 
above 25: (A) 
spacing squares: gray knots on black backgrounds

As I tracked the temperatures for 2020, I discovered I wouldn't need the below -20 (K) color, but it was better to be prepared. Applying this scale, my January 1-7 square needed a G knot color (average of -1) and an H background color (average of -7). I decided on Sky Blue for G, and Fresh Green for H, and yesterday I knit this square:

The unblocked square as described above.

I rather like it :) As you can see I haven't blocked it yet, and it's pretty close to 6 inches (14.5cm). I think pinning it to 6.5 inches square will give me good results. I'm not too impressed with my extra loose stitches in the knotwork in places so I'm going to modify the number of extra wraps in the pattern purely for my own aesthetics. Or maybe blocking will help; that's often the case. I wonder where my straight pins have gotten to? One nice thing about blanket squares: you only need one blocking mat to pin them out and it can be done on a table or counter top rather than the floor. Much easier on my back!!!!

Next up is January 8-14, -2/-14 or G for the knot and I for the background. I'm thinking Iced Aqua for my I color.

Are you working on a temperature project this year? I'd love to hear about it! What year are you using for your temps?What does your temperature scale look like? Are you using a rainbow or a narrower palette of colors? Are you making a blanket or another item? Stripes, squares, or something else? Let's talk temperatures!

Yours in yarn and weather,
Síle


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!