Monday, August 3, 2020

August & Hockey: does not compute

This year is definitely one for the history books. Saturday night, August the 1st mind you, I watched a hockey game. A pro, NHL, game. In August. If that's not a sign that things are off kilter, I really don't what is.

It's 27℃, 32℃ with the humidity factored in, and I'm pondering my next cast ons. I want to restart my next design, the Hornpipe Bag, and I'm debating a top for myself. Debating between two patterns and color palettes that is. One is a gorgeous summer top but the only yarn I have in the right weight and quantity is a bright red. Bright red and my already tomato-esque cheeks lead to no where flattering. The other is a sweater, written with ¾ length sleeves that I will be making shorter, with (for my size) four textured bands of different colors, that I've chosen from teal and green shades of stash, at the yoke and then a very straightforward plain body. I have a really nice (neutral! No one faint!) charcoal shade for the main color.

You can tell which one I'm leaning towards, can't you?

You're more interested in the Hornpipe Bag? Of course I'd love to tell you about it!

I'm not sure if you know this, but the most common time signature for hornpipes is 2/4. Another odd one! So I decided that since the slip jig pattern became lace to denote its difference from the "normal" jigs, the hornpipe design could definitely be something other than cables too. 2/4? 2/4? What if the 2 were two colors? I confess, I'm not very good at stranded colorwork. But I am fairly competent at double-knitting (see my pattern Rínce Fada; it even has cables!). And more importantly, I really enjoy it. 

I had decided fairly early on the hornpipe design would be a bag. I got the idea of a bag for one's ghillies, or perhaps small projects, into my head. A drawstring bag seemed the right thing. How to make it though? Knit in the round, insert eyelets near the top to thread the drawstrings through, seam the bottom, done? Or some way else? You'll have to wait and see! I can tell you, I'm constructing it in such a way that it will be completely reversible in keeping with the double-knitting.

And there will be at least one new technique for you to learn! I'll be including a photo tutorial section at the end of the pattern to guide you through three techniques I use, two that you've probably come across before but the other I sort of unvented and then looked to see if anyone else had used it. I didn't find it anywhere. So I'm fairly sure you won't have seen it/tried it before. 

I hope this Monday is treating you well. Are you starting the week off with a new project? Getting close to finishing one? I'd love to hear about your project(s).

Yours in yarn and trebles,
Síle

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!